Statistics Every Amazon Seller Should Know
Everybody knows that Amazon is the biggest ecommerce company in the world. That much is not news.
However, not everyone knows just how big the company is in terms of its revenue, users, and total number of products listed. The figures are astonishing.
Listed below are 30 statistics every Amazon seller should know, as this data provides valuable insight into the buying habits of consumers and the industry as a whole.
- Amazon owns 49% of the ecommerce market share.
- There are 300 million active users on Amazon (there are approximately 328 million people in the U.S., for comparison sake).
- Nearly 33% of Americans have a Prime membership.
- On average, Prime members spend $1,300 per year. Regular Amazon users spend approximately $700 per year.
- Prime Day amassed more sales than Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
- 9 out of 10 shoppers price-check on Amazon.
- Millennials shop on Amazon more than any other generation.
- The majority of Amazon shoppers are women (51.1%).
- Approximately 80% of Amazon shoppers are homeowners.
- 2.63 billion people visited Amazon.com between February 2018 and January 2019.
- Over 300,000 third-party sellers started selling on Amazon in 2017.
- More than 140,000 sellers had annual sales exceeding $100,000.
- Amazon’s total revenue from third-party sellers was $42.75 billion in 2018, and 31.88 billion in 2017.
- The majority of best sellers (60%) sell products in the Home & Kitchen category.
- In March 2019, the Amazon shopping app had 145.2 million active users, making it the most popular shopping app in the U.S.
- A little over two-thirds (67%) of Amazon shoppers browse the site on their desktop or laptop computers rather than their mobile phones.
- Approximately 80% of Amazon sellers also sell on other platforms (eBay, Etsy, etc).
- Amazon’s catalog includes more than 12 million products, services, and media.
- 11.1 million home improvement products were sold in 2018.
- An estimated 64 million products from the home & kitchen category are sold every single year.
- A survey conducted by Feedvisor revealed that 89% of consumers in the U.S. are more likely to purchase from Amazon than any other ecommerce site.
- The most popular product categories amongst Prime members in the U.S. are electronics, apparel, kitchen goods, and home items.
- In April 2019, Amazon.com had a total of 119,928,851 products.
- 44.2 million books are listed on Amazon, making it the largest product category on the site, followed by electronics at 10.1 million and home & kitchen products with 6.6 million.
- A report published by Amazon in 2019 revealed that small- and medium-size businesses sell more than 4,000 products per minute.
- In 1995, Amazon’s total net revenue was $511 million. In 2018, it was $232.9 billion.
- Nearly a quarter (23%) of online shoppers visit Amazon first when they do not have a specific item in mind that they want to purchase.
- According to Statista, in December 2018, 73% of Amazon sellers in the U.S. used FBA.
- Amazon operates in 13 different countries.
- Amazon earns about $4,222 every second, which equates to $283,000 per minute and more than $17 million per hour.
Want to know more? You can find additional statistics at sellerapp.com and repricerexpress.com.